What's In It for Me?

There's a country music song that came out several years ago, which I'm sure some of you are quite familiar with. The chorus begins like this--

"I wanna talk about me
Wanna talk about I
Wanna talk about number one
Oh my me my..."

Kind of a self-centered view on life isn't it?

Unfortunately, I think we, as Christians, sometimes take this approach with God during our prayers, and even in our lives.

I'm as guilty of it as the next person. On occasion, I find myself praying, "Father, I would like this to happen, or I really need this in my life."

Don't get me wrong, I know the Bible instructs us to come to God in our hour of need. But, how many times do we pray more for us instead of lifting up others in prayer? Even as an author, I can get so wrapped up in the self-promotion side of the industry, that I loose sight of the minister unto others aspect of it.

For you were called to freedom, brothers.
Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh,
but through love serve one another.
Galatians 5:13 (ESV)

My prayer for this week is two fold, that we:

~Spend more time praying for the body of Christ and less on our own issues.
~Allow God's light to shine through us, so that He may use our talents to touch the lives of many.

Have a blessed Sunday!

Happy reading,

Michael


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Michael, I see that we have connected on Twitter. I clicked on your blog to learn more about you. I see you are new to the blogging world, so welcome!

Also, I like your post about praying for others. I have noticed that, without thinking about it, my prayer time has increased in prayer for other people. I see that as fruit of the Holy Spirit working in me. Sometimes I jokingly tell God that just because I'm not praying for myself as much, doesn't mean I'm cured lol! I still have lots to unravel. However, I think our culture is so focused on individualism that when we start to focus outward, it actually begins to deliver us from our own baggage.

Blessings to you and your book! :)

Michael Thomas Moses said...

Thank you so much for your kind welcome and words of encouragement, Heather!

I whole heartedly agree, by opening our hearts in prayer for others we allow the Holy Spirit to begin healing the hurts and fulfill the needs in our own lives.

By the by, I thoroughly enjoyed your testimony on TSPN, and I pray that God will continue to bless you and your ministry!

In all things, stay strong with the Lord.

God Bless,
Michael

AngBreidenbach said...

So very true, Michael. It seems harder to remember the needs of others when the economy blows so wildly around us. But it's in that caring response we call on the Holy Spirit to blow through instead.
Angie

Michael Thomas Moses said...

I wholeheartedly agree, Angie. It's in those rough times in our lives that we should bless others so that we may share God's love.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

God Bless,
Michael